Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Close Up with Photographic artist and painter- Steve Hazael




Artist's statement:
Steve Hazael has lived in Murrumbateman for the last two years. Having moved from Sydney he finds the area presents wonderful opportunities and accessibility for landscape photography. A fascination with time, space and man’s “point of view” or reference, dictate that his art and photography centre on a theme of movement and abstraction. The observer can return to the photograph many times and still find fine detail that seems contradictory to the overall motion of the shot.

“I like my landscapes to generate a state of prolonged experience, similar to what I do with paint on canvas, twisting the image and stretching it into the more lively and improbable.

My inspiration comes when travelling through the Australian bush. The colours, life & movement of the bush came alive in the lens, on screen and finally on paper or canvas. It strikes many of us that we take very little time out of our lives to appreciate our surroundings, and tend to fall into the trap of seeing all things in the same way or light. I think these pieces move us away from that perception.

Having recently moved to Murrumbateman NSW, I’ve found an almost infinite variety of locations in the Southern Highlands, Snowy Mountains and Victorian High Country where scenes such as these can be found.”
 
I am a photographic artist and painter who above all likes to experiment.

Having recently renewed an interest in photography I find myself looking for ways to “paint” with the camera.
Someone who travels extensively in Australia once said to me that he never uses filters or post production techniques in his photography because it “distorts” the real subject or scene. i.e. He is always looking for fidelity.

My view is the camera in itself provides the highest level of distortion and is simply a brush or implement for expressing my view, thoughts or abstraction on the subject.
An analogy might be the best audio system doesn’t come even close to reproducing the ‘live’ experience,
So why fight it…?

The result breaks the traditional rules of photography. There is nearly always movement, often a certain lack of focus and a different point of reference in my photographs.

My painting leans in the same direction. 

Steve & Kim

Who (or what) inspires you to do what you love in your own creative business?
I simply love movement or the ‘journey”, the act or sensation of moving in time & space. The motion of an object leaves a ‘trace’ or imaginary line in its wake that is always a curve, simple or complex.



 Where do you get your inspiration from when you design/paint?
Watching everyday events, seeing a line or series of lines in a surface interplay and then applying that motion in another context.

What are the five words that people who know you would use to describe you?
           Sensitive, kind, funny, thoughtful, shy.

 Tell us about your very first job and what path have you taken since then?
I started working life as a cadet draughtsman, was quickly bored so went into audio repairs. I have been a fire alarm technician, I was self employed striping cars (which was once very popular and can be creatively rewarding). I’ve window tinted cars and buildings and worked for the computer industry in mainframes and service delivery.

Describe a typical day in your studio space?
Wait for the weather and the right light. (photography). Same applies for painting i.e. I paint outside because the studio is still on paper.
Drive into the mountains, or walk city streets. For painting I tend to do one work in no more than 2 days, although I’ll sometimes have 2 or 3 

 
Belconnen
 
 As an Artist & Photographer, what is your biggest frustration?
Finding time for art is by far my biggest frustration... everything else comes with determination, time just simply disappears.

 Tell us about how you prioritise your studio work
By the weather! (see earlier question) ...and how quickly the paint dries… I’m impatient!

Since you are working at home, can you please tell us about how do you connect with other artists, and your customers (i.e. how do you network)?
I’m currently using Facebook a lot. It’s great for connecting with artists & art lovers the world over. Next project is RedBubble, followed by Twitter.

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
Never give up… there will always be setbacks. Think in terms of 1 step back, 2 steps forward ..and don’t stop painting or photographing, whatever the case may be.

 What dreams do you still want to achieve or fulfill in your life?
            Improve my work & abilities; travel more and sell some art.


What is your proudest moment so far?
               I spoke to a renowned photographer awhile back who spoke very highly of my work... 

Who do you most want to meet and why?


What is the most important lesson in life that you have learned?
Always remember that everyone is human and is subject to same fobiles, feelings, joys and sadness.
           
What book are you reading right now, and do you have a book you would like to recommend?
I’m re-visiting Hammond Innes.. I find myself relating to his central characters… apart from that I read photography mags ..a bit sad hey? 

 Where do we find you and your artwork?


No comments:

Pure Leverage

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails